Monday, April 9, 2012 - 2 comments

My Easter Experience


My Easter Experience

This Easter for me, as well as my family, was a new and exciting experience. After all of the eating and egg hunts our family settled down in a tent and sang both old and new worship songs. We had communion and ended with a short Easter message.

I have never thought of our family to be a very religious one. My mother, step-father, and siblings go to church but we are about the only ones in our family except for some cousins. This all changed last August. Every year we have Easter at my grandmother and grandfather’s house. I knew my grandmother believed in God but never practiced her beliefs. She would come to church when my siblings or I sang in the choir or other special events but not a regular occurrence. I was worried.
 
One Sunday in August my grandmother went in front of the church. It was one of the best things that have happened in my life. From that moment on it has been easier for me to express my faith around her and we have helped guide each other. My grandmother is one of the most important people in my life to me. Her decision to follow Christ more than strengthened our bond.  

This Easter was very special as well. Usually we would eat, hunt, talk, and go home. Having that worship time with my grandmother as well as other family members was amazing. 

"Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God." –Colossians 3:16

I would have never thought that Easter would be a celebration there. But I was so wrong. Being wrong in this situation is such a wonderful wrong.

Next time you get the chance just sit down with your family and share your thoughts. It is defiantly a good risk to take.

“There are many things which a person can do alone, but being a Christian is not one of them. As the Christian life is, above all things, a state of union with Christ, and of union of his followers with one another, love of the brethren is inseparable from love of God. Resentment toward any human being cannot exist in the same heart with love to God. The personal relationship to Christ can only be realized when one has "come to himself" as a member of His Body, the Christian fellowship.” –William T. Ham

2 comments:

Paula April 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I'm so touched by your honesty and kindness. You're very special and always will be.

Love you so much,
Grandma

Falula Fuller April 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I thought I was the only one that was extremely excited about Easter this year until I read this blog. About a week before Easter, I was bursting with joy and could hardly contain myself knowing for the first time, I would be celebrating the real meaning of Easter not only with my church family, but also with my immediate family. In years past, like you stated, it used to be more about decorating eggs, chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and just being together when we gathered for Easter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those things, yet in my spirit, something was always lacking, and this year, I knew that it was going to be way much more than that! I could hardly contain the excitement the prior week. It made my heart happy to be a part of such an amazing work of God. Having communion together on Easter with my immediate family was a very special and memorable day for me and a day that I will always treasure. Thanks for sharing your heart. You are a very special young man. Continue to be bold in your faith and continue to be in this world, yet not of this world! Plan to be amazed at the good things God has in store for all of those who believe!
In Him,
Falula

Post a Comment