Tuesday, June 5, 2012 - 0 comments

Overcoming Our Giants


Overcoming Our Giants

The other night in VBS we talked about overcoming our giants. Everyone has giants and our giants may be different from others. This got me thinking about my own giants. 

In my day to day life I battle a giant, his name is Selfishness. I’m sure others giants have different names because they are different giants. I find myself thinking about myself more than I do about others. I tend to grab a plate and load up diner first, cook for myself first, etc. This isn’t right for me to do by other people and it really puts a damper on my character. 

David also had a giant, his name was Goliath. In 1 Samuel 7:23, David notices Goliath for the first time. Surprisingly, little David does not fear Goliath. We shouldn’t fear our giants either because we can overcome our giants. God doesn’t give us more than we can handle. 1 Corinthians 10:13 states,"....but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

My giant tries to tell me that it is all about me. However, God doesn’t think the same way. We are put here to serve others, not ourselves. I still have a hard time putting others first. But I’m trying to think differently. You could say I am fighting my giant one stone at a time. 

We all fear our giants. David did not fear his giant and killed him with one stone. We should not fear our giants either and there is a reason for this. God is always with us and he can deliver us from any situation. When we learn to fear God and not the giants our lives will be much easier. Learn to trust Him and pray about your giants. A very familiar verse says, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” –Philippians 4:13.

Battling our giants can be a challenge. I dare you to overcome your fears. I dare you to believe…

0 comments:

Post a Comment